As a base Marham opened
in 1916 and has played a key role within the RAF ever since. In the
1930's the site underwent
considerable expansion and primarily became a Heavy Bomber station
during the Second World War. In the mid 1940’s new concrete runway was
constructed to take the USAF B29. Then soon after the Second World War,
with the advent of the Cold War. Marham became one of the first V Bomber
bases and was turned into one of our strategic deterrent bases for
almost the next 10 years.
The mid 1960’s saw the
arrival at Marham of 55 & 57 Sqn with their Air to Air Victor tankers,
which continued to operate into the early 1990’s seeing in Marhams
latest residents the Tornado’s and not forgetting the Canberra’s which
appeared with 100Sqn in the 1976.